The debut of the SD9 in 1954 marked the next step forward for EMD's 'Special Duty' line of six-axle diesels. Except for the placement of the class lights, the SD9 looked almost the same as the SD7, which was introduced in 1952. But under the hood, the new 567C prime mover delivered 1,750 horsepower. While four-axle power still dominated overall sales, the SDs were soon drawing well-deserved attention. In service, the three-axle Flexicoil trucks delivered almost twice the pulling power of their GP counterparts, proving ideal for demanding assignments in helper, yard, transfer and heavy freight service. With its weight spread over six axles, the SD9 was also well suited to lightly-built routes, and many SD9s were purchased specifically for branchline duties. By the time production ended in 1959, 515 SD9s were in service on over a dozen railroads . . . and some are still going strong after 50+ years!
- Limited Edition . . . one-time run of these roadnumbers!
- New schemes and roadname-specific detailing
- Factory-installed DCC and Tsunami sound
- 14:1 helical gears for smooth, quiet performance
- Five-pole skew-wound high-torque high-efficiency can motor
- Low speed capability - under 3 scale MPH
- LED constant and directional headlights
- Easy multiple-unit operation
- Metal grab irons and lift rings
- Proto MAXTM metal knuckle couplers
Painted and lettered, BNSF no. 6145. Walthers no. 920-41610.