Trumpeter #6801 DKM U-Boat Type VIIC U-552 Plastic Model Kit, 1/48 Scale
German submarine U-552 was a Type VIIC U-Boat built for Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine for service during World War II. U-552 was nicknamed the Roter Teufel 'Red Devil' after its mascot of a grinning devil was painted on the conning tower.
- 2-piece full hull, with full interior details seen through the transparent starboard hull
- Highly detailed interior with front and rear living quarters, Central control room, Sonar room, Transmitter receiver room, Diesel engine and engine room, Electromotor, torpedoes and front and rear torpedo tube compartment
- Separate bulkheads
- Detailed conning tower with injection molded railings, 88mm chase guns, aerial defense scatter guns and machine guns
- Front and rear pile
- 48 Crew figures
- Detailed anchor and propellers
- Photo-etch accents
- Decals and color painting reference for a single submarine - includes ensigns, gauges and color reference and markings for all interior and figures.
- Completed Length: 55 in. long (approx.)
Customer Reviews of This Item
In true Trumpeter style, this model was fantastic! The detail is mind-boggling. I also purchased the LED lighting set from another vendor. Interior lighting is necessary and Trumpeter provided "detents" in the plastic where these lights were to be mounted. All the parts fit together perfectly and no unreasonable fitting was necessary.
<br>I would have given this a 5 star review except for the following: 1) The aft section was the only piece that did not fit well and it took me over a week of work to get it close - but it never fit right. 2) The instructions were lacking in a few aspects and contributed to some of the mistakes I did make. 3) The display base pylons were inadequate. I had to make a platform base to mount the pylons to for stability reasons and also for the light switch and battery compartment.
<br>But overall this is a terrific model - perhaps the best one I've ever completed. Highly recommended!